I've been a little obsessed lately with the ideas of introversion and extroversion in our culture, especially since taking this quiz and reading this book (which has literally been life-changing for me). The truth is we all have bits of introvert and extrovert in us, thus, this post on fun tees that embrace your inner introvert.
According to Susan Cain's amazing Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (the book I linked above), introverts and extroverts are essential to the world and we wouldn't survive without each other. While there's a lot of nuances to the differences between the two, this is what I've gotten from Quiet so far: Introverts tend to speak more softly, to think before they act, to be more cautious, and they draw energy from time alone. Extroverts tend to take more risks, be more boisterous, act quickly, and draw energy from being around other people.
Here's the fascinating part: Society in America has basically groomed us all to be extroverts, and to think that's the only way to make friends, to be a leader, and to be successful at work. Introverts and extroverts are equally as smart and equally as capable of being leaders and changing the world (this is, from what I can understand, Quiet's essential message: to be true to yourself, and at the same time, don't be afraid to step outside the bounds of your personality when it comes to things you're passionate about). A few introverts who changed the world, BTW: Albert Einstein, Steven Spielberg, and J.K. Rowling. Embracing yourself—and the traits that drive you and give you your unique strengths—is a wonderful thing, and I wish you more of that in 2017!
Here, without further ado, five cool tees that get the quiet, sensitive, thinker in you, no matter what side of the introvert/extrovert spectrum you're on.
1. For when you're seriously thrilled to be home on a Friday night: Stay Home Club, $35.
2. For when you're in the mood to binge on Harry Potter (and cheer on the real hero, i.e. Hermione): Out of Print, $22.
3. For when you say "no" to last minute plans with friends, because it's been a week (or a month) and you just can't: Look Human, $28.
4. For when you're halfway through that amazing novel and you can't think of anything else but running home to snuggle up with it: Look Human, $28.
5. For when the only thing that can really make a bad day better is your fave cat video: Rad, $25.
P.S. The t-shirt I'm wearing above is here: Rad, $20.
Cheers to the inner introvert in all of us!