Here are five things I can't get enough of right now...
1. A genius way to keep guacamole from going brown. I ordered in Mexican food from one of my favorite places in my neighborhood recently, and even though the guac from this spot is so friggin' good, I couldn't eat it all myself, so I wanted to find a way to preserve it. I tried this trick from The Kitchn, which keeps it fresh for up to three days. Here's how it works: Put the leftovers in an airtight container and dribble a bit of water over the top of the guac (for real). The dip is supposed to be thick enough that the water won't seep through, and the liquid then creates a barrier between the air and the precious guac. When I took a look two days later, there was a thin layer of brown at the top (I think the water sunk down a little), but all I had to do was pour out the water and skim that thin layer off the top, and the guac underneath was as fresh tasting as the first night I had it. Try it and you'll see!
2. A fun new beauty podcast. I've been podcast-obsessed ever since I put together this story for MarieClaire.com. So when I heard that Jenn Goldstein, the deputy beauty/health editor at Marie Claire, was cohosting a podcast called Fat Mascara with Jessica Matlin, deputy beauty editor at Cosmopolitan, I thought, Whoa, this is going to be awesome. Beauty editors have the greatest jobs because a. they know the real deal about what products work and which ones don't (they're sent free stuff every day, duh), b. they know all the best tricks (they're masters of the perfect skincare routine and on-point lipstick application), c. they're friends with all kinds of cool people in the beauty industry (i.e. look for interviews with these cool peeps on Fat Mascara), and d. they travel to the far corners of the world to see how naturally sourced beauty ingredients come together to create amazing new products. (Phew!) If you're even the tiniest bit of a beauty junkie and/or you love hearing two smart, funny chicks talk all things makeup and skincare, start listening to Fat Mascara, pronto!
3. This lovely song. It's called "Drive," by the Australian band Glades (made up of three members: Karina Wykes, Cam Robertson, and Joey Wenceslao). It's such ear candy, with an indie, electro-pop sound, that I just want to listen over and over again. Oh, BTW, it's been streamed on Spotify nearly 3 million times. So I'm not the only one who's waaaay into it! ;)
4. The boots that saved me this winter. I've got to credit my mom for her sensible and trendy style choices on this one. When I saw her wearing these boots for the first time earlier this winter, looking all casual cool, and I was like, "Those. Are. Awesome. Where are they from?!" H&M, of course. And then she insisted that I buy them, too, since, as she said, I'm "always cold." They're super comfy, so easy to walk in (no crazy heel!), and the best part is they are the warmest (inside is a plush pile lining). This is coming from someone whose feet are ALWAYS cold. So even standing outside for hours on one of the colder weekends to help Tom with a photo shoot... my feet still stayed toasty! Can't recommend them enough.
5. A must-read discussion on Man Repeller. A moving and sobering round-table conversation between editors at the fashion site Man Repeller and their special guests, like writer Ashley Ford, about Kesha's recent court case and how we can best support our friends and loved ones if they have been sexually abused.
Hope you're all staying safe and warm. Sending you lots of love!